Solar Thermal technology utilizes the heat of the sun to reduce the need for natural gas or electricity. A highly evolved technology, it is simple, fully automatic, reliable and efficient, converting sunlight into usable, free energy for decades at a time.
As shown below, there are two basic systems – solar hot water and solar heat & hot water. Solar Service will work with you to design a system that meets your unique needs.
Solar Hot Water:
- A food grade anti-freeze is pumped through the panels, heated by the sun and returned to the mechanical room.
- This thermal (heat) energy is used to heat water by using a device called a heat exchanger.
- The potable hot water is then stored in a separate storage tank and fed to a conventional hot water before flowing to your tap. The hot water heater supplies back up heat if needed, ensuring you will always have hot water.
- The result? Significant energy and financial savings!
Have more questions about solar hot water? Visit our FAQs to learn more.
Solar Heat & Hot Water:
Solar can also be used for space heating by adding more panels and another heat exchanger. Almost any furnace or radiant floor heating system can be converted into a hybrid heat source for your home.
- A separate thermostat controls your solar heating system, ensuring the sun is the first source of heat for your home.
- When the house calls for heat, a pump circulates solar heated water through a radiant coil installed in the furnace ductwork.
- The furnace fan draws cold air from the home across the hot solar coil, delivering heat to the home.
- This system also provides domestic hot water as described above.
NOTE: Solar thermal systems are NOT a good fit for baseboard or radiator systems as these devices require extremely hot water to operate.
Have more questions about solar heat hot water? Visit our FAQs to learn more.